The United Way is seeking a Director of Development to build a stewardship program focused on our expanding our Presidents Circle (leadership) donors, building community awareness of our mission and expanding our partnerships. This position requires an energetic, passionate and mission driven individual who can bring people together around common goals that support our “One Community Table” campaign. The Director of Development will focus on donor and prospect relationship management with strategies to grow the United Way’s private funding streams. The position will work closely with the President and Vice President for Community Engagement, with support from the Vice President of Community Impact Programs to create, implement, and monitor fundraising, stewardship/cultivation and communications strategies.
- Develop and implement an annual development plan with targeted goals and donor communication benchmarks built on existing relationships and new prospects
- Lead/develop a Development Committee which meets monthly and is focused on fundraising strategy attended by board and community members
- Develop all messaging (fundraising and programmatic materials) coordinating with marketing firm that support messaging and relationship building with donors
- Develop and execute plan for regular communication with current donors (targeted as needed) to support stewardship efforts (with appropriate staff and/or board)
- Develop marketing and stewardship materials (ex: newsletters, annual reports, marketing brochures) working with marketing firm on implementation
- Support the creation and execution of events (fundraising and/or cultivation) encompassing donor and fundraising events, and community awareness campaign
- Develop, write and manage donor proposals, gift acknowledgements and review grant opportunities/applications
- Manages major gifts stewardship program and develops individual stewardship and donor cultivation plans
- Builds relationships with community leaders, stakeholders, and board to promote the United Way brand and mission
- Builds meaningful community partnerships that serve the fundraising goals of the United Way and build awareness for programs and direct services within the community
- Manage donor reports and relationship management using the United Way donor database
- Serve as spokesperson for the United Way and a passionate ambassador of the mission
- Bachelor’s degree
- Proven track record of major gifts/campaign fundraising success
- Minimum of five years fundraising experience
- Exceptional writing, presentation, and interpersonal skills
- Ability to work with a small team and juggle many responsibilities
- Comfortable communicating with a wide variety of stakeholders: board members, donors, agencies, clients, peer groups, associations, volunteers, civic and religious groups, and City/County government
- Excellent organizational and project management skills with attention to detail
- Fundraising database knowledge and experience
- Microsoft Office proficiency: Word, Excel, Power Point and Outlook
- Social media experience related to donor cultivation strategies
- Ability to work independently and within a small team setting
- Ability to attend some events/meetings on evenings and/or weekends
- Other duties as required to meet the needs of the organization
The United Way-Thomas Jefferson Area is a completely local and autonomous organization founded in 1943. The United Way serves our community through: Community Philanthropy- we engage givers who share our commitment to our community being a great place to live; Catalytic Leadership- we convene and engage key stakeholders to advance community goals; and Dynamic Grant making- we provide funds to nonprofit agencies to support quality programs in our Impact Areas of School Readiness, Self-Sufficiency, and Community Health. We serve the Virginia counties of Albemarle, Nelson, Fluvanna, Greene, and Louisa, and the City of Charlottesville.
Whatever the challenge, the United Way-Thomas Jefferson Area brings people together around one “community table” to listen, to learn, to understand and to problem-solve.
The United Way invites all people to come together around our “community table” to build common ground, support and shared community. We hope you will consider joining our table and being a part of a mission-driven team standing united for community good.
Please mail/email cover letter, resume, sample of written work, and salary range.
Director of Development Position
806 East High Street
Charlottesville, VA 22902