INITIATIVE FOR EFFECTIVE NONPROFITS
The Initiative for Effective Nonprofits strengthens the relationships, governance and management of nonprofit organizations so that the organizations will be more effective in developing, implementing and sustaining strategies, systems and programs to meet important needs within the community. The Initiative is especially interested in collaborative applications from organizations working together on strategies, systems or programs to significantly benefit residents in the community.
The Initiative, founded by the Wardle Family Foundation and the United Way – Thomas Jefferson Area, is a collaborative effort of community organizations, foundations and individuals within the Thomas Jefferson Planning District which includes Charlottesville and the Counties of Albemarle, Fluvanna, Greene, Louisa, and Nelson.
MISSION & STRATEGIC THINKING
GOVERNANCE & LEADERSHIP
- Nonprofit 501(c)3 organizations that have been in existence for at least two years and have been serving residents in the Thomas Jefferson Planning District.
- Organizations providing human or health services will receive priority.
- A grant recipient may apply for an additional grant once the Initiative-funded project has been completed and all grant requirements have been met satisfactorily.
- Unsuccessful applicants may reapply after seeking feedback from the Initiative Project Manager.
Please note, funding is not available for the following:
- Staff salaries or functions.
- General operating support.
- Debt reduction.
- Computer hardware or software or other equipment or furnishings.
- Rent or other occupancy or facility expenses.
- Financial audits.
- Fees and other costs of attending seminars, workshops or conferences.
- Accreditation processes.
- Capital campaigns or campaign consultants.
- Recurring staff or board training expenses.
- Promotion of particular denominations, faiths or political agendas. However, projects of faith-based organizations that serve the general community are not precluded from consideration.
- Individual elementary, secondary or post-secondary schools.
- Organizations that do not provide direct services.
- Fees or costs for projects which have begun or are under contract.
For more information, contact Barbara Hutchinson, 434.972.1701.