The United Way Thomas Jefferson Area invites students living in or going to school in Planning District 10 to participate in a new logo design contest for United Way Laurence E. Richardson Day of Caring. Each year in September, the United Way – Thomas Jefferson Area coordinates The Day of Caring, one of the largest volunteer events in the nation. Around 2,000 volunteers complete approximately 200 projects for nonprofit and schools in Charlottesville, and the counties of Albemarle, Nelson, Fluvanna, Louisa, and Greene.
The United Way seeks submissions for the 2019 Day of Caring logo, which should depict a sense of community, working together, and purpose. One design will be chosen by a panel to be the 2019 logo.
- Any student residing in Charlottesville, Virginia or the Virginia counties of Albemarle, Nelson, Fluvanna, Louisa, or Greene (enrolled in a public, private, or home school program) between the ages of 14-18 at the time of the contest submission deadline.
- Applicant must not be directly related to any current United Way – Thomas Jefferson Area staff member, United Way – Thomas Jefferson Area board member, or be a direct family member of anyone on the judging panel. Note: if a competing artist is determined to be directly related to a judge, that judge will be required to recuse him/herself from the panel.
- One entry per participant per contest cycle.
- All artwork must be original and done in black and white, all black, or all white.
- Artwork must be no larger than 10’’ x 10’’ and saved as a high-resolution Adobe Illustrator (AI) or Encapsulated PostScript (EPS) file.
- The winning logo will be used in a variety of ways(see below) most prominently it will be placed on the front-center of volunteer unisex t-shirts. Please consider this placement when designing your logo.
- All artwork must be submitted along with a parent/guardian’s name and contact information.
- All artwork must be submitted with an applicant’s name, birthday, and school attended as well as a phone number and/or email address for the parent/guardian. In the case of no phone or email address, please contact the United Way – Thomas Jefferson Area directly for submission instructions. Personal information will be used to verify eligibility to enter the contest and to contact the winner. It will not be saved or shared for any other purpose.
- Artwork must contain the phrases “United Way Day of Caring” and “2019”.
- Artwork may also contain the phrases “Laurence E. Richardson,” “Service,” “Community,” “Volunteer(s),” and/or “Volunteering.” No other wording other than what has been specified, please.
- Entries must be submitted by noon on May 17, 2019. Entries must be submitted online in the form below.
- Submission of your logo to this contest assumes you have read and understood the guidelines. Should you wish to have your logo design pulled from submission at any time during the contest please contact the United Way – Thomas Jefferson Area directly.
- Questions regarding this contest should be submitted by email to Anna at firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also call 434-972-1715.
- The winner of the logo contest will be announced no later than the end of May 2019.
Use of Winning Artwork:
The winning design (logo) will be used for the 2019 Day of Caring by the United Way – Thomas Jefferson Area on a variety of materials/ placements, including, but not limited to:
- Volunteer t-shirts
- Social media
- Printed materials
The winning artist will be credited where possible, but not for every logo use. The United Way will not use the logo in more than one year’s Day of Caring materials/promotion. The United Way Thomas Jefferson Area reserves the right to not select a logo entry as contest winner should the panel of judges deem the entries to be unsuitable for promotion alongside the United Way TJA brand. The United Way reserves the right to update a previous year’s Day of Caring logo in lieu of granting a contest winner in the case of there being no entries or no suitable entries as deemed by the panel of judges.
Recognition for Winning Artist:
The designer of the winning logo will receive:
- Certificate of Award
- T-shirt featuring the winning logo (artist credited)
- Recognition on the United Way’s website, social media, blog, e-newsletter and printed materials.
- A press release announcing the winner will be submitted to local media; United Way cannot guarantee media stories.
- There will be no monetary compensation (a.k.a. “prize”) for winning or for use of the winning logo.