The United Way-Thomas Jefferson Area offers several opportunities to make a difference for our local community by supporting our organization and the efforts defined through our impact areas and direct services.
Our Giving Society includes donor levels which aim to inspire our donors, as well as the community at large, by evoking a sense of pride in our history and recognition of the good works performed by generations past. The work we do today connects us to the work of those who came before in a trajectory that extends from the past continually into the future.
Join our efforts by joining one of the following donor groups:
1. The Presidents Circle ($1000-$2,499). This level represents acknowledgement of the work our Virginia Presidents and Founding Fathers put forth in establishing our nation.
2. The Tonsler & McGinness Circle ($2,500-$4,999). Benjamin Tonsler and Rebecca McGinness are local heroes in our history of education. Tonsler was the principal of the Jefferson School from 1895 until 1917. Tonsler accredited his approach to his friend and classmate Booker T. Washington who were both students at what is now known as Hampton University. Rebecca McGinness worked alongside Tonsler as a teacher of long standing at the Jefferson School. She taught area students for more than 40 years between 1915-1960.
3. The Virginia Hench Circle ($5,000-$9,999). The first Executive Director of the Charlottesville United Way (then known as the War and Community Fund) lead a campaign to consolidate support for ten local human service agencies assisting needy children and families. As in generations past, our committed donors today commit to thoughtful and purposeful work towards the improvement of our community.
4. The Tocqueville Circle ($10,000+). Our highest level donors are honored by affiliation with the United Way Worldwide hero Alexis de Tocqueville who was selected as an early champion of democracy. While traveling the country during the early years of our nation, he corresponded with Virginia statesmen documenting the proclivity of “associations” or non-profits which provide resources for those who are socially disadvantaged.
In addition to our annual giving circles, donors are acknowledged for gifts that make a lasting difference:
Lifetime donors are those who make gifts of $25,000 or more. These gifts are an important way to maintain the work of the United Way-Thomas Jefferson Area.
Legacy donors are another important way to support the United Way. At any age donors may elect to provide a percentage of their estate to support he endowment at United Way. Planned giving in any form is considered a legacy gift.
Gifts in any amount make a difference! Please see our information pages “Ways to Give” and “Gift Acceptance Policy” for more information on all types of gifts.
Make a gift that leaves a legacy for our community.
Plans from your estate
Bequests are gifts you establish through your estate plans. These plans include Wills or Living Trusts, Retirement Plans, Life Insurance.
Plans that pay you
You make a gift to the United Way-Thomas Jefferson Area and receive income for your life or for the lives of the beneficiaries you choose. These plans include Charitable Gift Annuities and Charitable Remainder Trusts
Plans that help the United Way now and your own family later
The United Way-Thomas Jefferson Area uses the income from a gift you make for a specified period of time, and then returns the remainder to you or your heirs. This plan is called a Charitable Lead Trust
STOCK GIFTS AND SECURITIES
Please make stock and securities gifts using the following information:
Brokerage Firm: Wells Fargo Advisors
Formerly Wachovia Securities, LLC
Formerly A.G. Edwards
Local office: Corporate Office
100 East South Street One North Jefferson
Charlottesville, VA. 22902 St. Louis, MO. 63103
Phone: 434-296-7185 800-533-4465
BROKER: James Neligan
Delivery Instructions: DTC # 0141
Wells Fargo account # 6242-4378
FBO (United Way – Thomas Jefferson Area)
CORPORATE AND WORKPLACE GIVING
The tradition of community support through workplace giving, event sponsorship and corporate gifts have been the lifeblood of the United Way-Thomas Jefferson Area for more than 75 years. Through corporate and foundation participation you can give staff members the chance to make a considerable impact.
When you offer employee benefits that are tied to giving you can:
- Create a culture of generosity
- Engage employees
- Communicate your core values to your staff
- Shed a positive light on your brand.
At United Way-Thomas Jefferson Area workplace and corporate gifts can include the following opportunities:
Become a Corporate Partner with United Way-Thomas Jefferson Area which includes additional exposure for your company as a leader in our efforts to uphold, build and sustain our community!
Establish Workplace Giving through automatic payroll deductions makes it easy to give to a cause you care about. Let us help you increase job satisfaction, establish employee pride and elevate your brand.
Provide an Employer Match Program to maximize the positive impact of your organization’s commitment to our the local community.
Sponsor Events with United Way-Thomas Jefferson Area to get double the exposure with event advertising and promotions for popular and well-attended community activities.
Volunteer with our annual Day of Caring by committing to a single day of service for our community and a fun day of camaraderie for your employees!
ATTEND AN EVENT
The United Way Laurence E. Richardson Day of Caring promotes the spirit and value of volunteerism, increases awareness of local service agencies and schools, and demonstrates what working together for the community’s good can accomplish. We have grown this event from 50 volunteers to nearly 2,000 volunteers who complete 200 projects in Charlottesville, Albemarle, Fluvanna, Louisa, Nelson and Greene. The value of service to our community in 2018 was over $300,000. To get involved contact the our office and ask for Community Outreach.
In keeping with our Community Health impact focus, we hold an annual Relay 4 Community Health to promote active healthy lifestyles for area residents. Runners and walkers of all abilities, age 8+, form teams from family & friends, businesses & organizations, and other groups. Each team member completes a leg then passes the baton to a teammate. Everyone can do it if we help each other reach the finish line! This annual event includes free children’s and spectator activities with live music, moon bounce and water games as well as prizes and food trucks.
Get Involved, Make a Difference.
Visit the United Way Thomas Jefferson Area volunteer platform to find ways to serve in our community.